#Showbiz: Dating news sparks Twice fan outcry, demands for single Sana!

KUALA LUMPUR: Recent dating rumours regarding members of popular K-Pop girl group Twice have apparently resulted in its fans expressing a request that the other idols refrain from getting boyfriends.

This follows yesterday’s confirmation from the nine-member music outfit’s agency, JYP Entertainment, that Jihyo was indeed in a relationship with former Wanna One singer Kang Daniel.

According to Koreaboo, the agency had however denied recent rumours that fellow Twice member, Momo, was dating Super Junior‘s Kim Heechul.

Apparently, a popular forum for Twice fans called DC Twice Gallery saw many posts demanding for another member, Sana, to never date for the sake of the fans.

But these negative entries also saw a pushback from Netizens and some fans as well, who criticised the need for fans to control the personal lives of idols.

They argued that Sana should be able to date if she wanted to and fans should respect her private life.

Some also wrote that fans should celebrate her happiness instead.

Twice, which formed in 2015, is made up of members from South Korea, Japan and Taiwan.

The 22-year-old Sana, who is a Japanese national, was reportedly voted as the 17th most popular idol in South Korea and the highest ranked Japanese one during last year’s annual music poll by Gallup Korea.

Korean idols generally do not publicly reveal their relationship status due to the fact that they may lose fans and instigate hate in the process.

Agencies also tend to keep a tight reign on their artistes in this regard and avoid any casual announcements.

Idols are expected to foster a good image of themselves and squeaky clean reputations.

Read More: https://www.nst.com.my/lifestyle/groove/2019/08/510810/showbiz-dating-news-sparks-twice-fan-outcry-demands-single-sana

FDA investigating 127 reports of seizures after vaping

The Food and Drug Administration is investigating 127 cases of people suffering from seizures after vaping, the agency announced Wednesday.

The agency received about 92 new reports of people, especially kids and young adults, experiencing seizures after using e-cigarettes since it first announced its investigation into the issue in April. The FDA said it’s unclear whether e-cigarettes caused the seizures and cautioned these cases occurred over a 10-year period.

When the FDA announced its investigation in the spring, it asked for people to let the agency know if they had ever experienced this. The FDA on Wednesday again encouraged people to report if they had seizures after vaping.

“We appreciate the public response to our initial call for reports, and we strongly encourage the public to submit new or follow-up reports with as much detail as possible,” acting FDA Commissioner Ned Sharpless said in a statement.

“Additional reports or more detailed information about these incidents are vital to help inform our analysis and may help us identify common risk factors and determine whether any specific e-cigarette product attributes, such as nicotine content or formulation, may be more likely to contribute to seizures,” he added.

E-cigarette liquids contain high concentrations of the nicotine. If swallowed, they can be poisonous, often causing nausea, sweating, dizziness and tremors, according to the National Capital Poison Center. In severe cases, nicotine poisoning can cause seizures or even death.

The FDA said the evidence it has analyzed so far doesn’t establish a clear pattern or cause for the cases. It also said the additional reports “do not necessarily indicate an increase in frequency or prevalence” of seizures among people who vape.

Former FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb told CNBC it was expected the FDA’s initial announcement would garner more reports, “but 92 additional reports over that short period of a time is concerning.”

-CNBC’s Aditi Roy contributed to this report

Disclosure: Scott Gottlieb is a CNBC contributor.

Read More: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/07/fda-investigating-127-reports-of-seizures-after-vaping.html



Singapore returning S$50.3m seized in 1MDB probe to Malaysia: Police

FRI, JUL 19, 2019 – 11:42 AM

[SINGAPORE] Singapore is returning millions in seized money to Malaysia in connection with a massive financial scandal that played a major role in the toppling of the corruption-plagued government of Najib Razak.

Singapore police said its Commercial Affairs Department (CAD) had filed applications to return around S$50.3 million of seized money linked to Malaysian sovereign wealth fund 1MDB, and the courts have given their approval.

“Part of the monies have already been transferred to Malaysia, while the rest are still being processed by the banks,” it said late on Thursday.

The police did not say where the money was seized from.

Singapore is one of several countries that launched probes into allegations that billions of dollars were misappropriated from 1MDB in an elaborate ruse that stretched from Asia to the United States.SEE ALSO: Malaysian police chief says tough to combat drugs with addicts on force

The scandal – allegedly involving Malaysia’s ex-leader Najib, his family members and inner circle – played a key role in the defeat of his long-ruling coalition at the polls last year.

The US Department of Justice, which has been seizing assets in the United States allegedly bought with stolen 1MDB money, believes that some US$4.5 billion was plundered from the fund.

Singapore’s investigations into 1MDB centred on allegations that its financial system was used to launder some of the stolen funds.

The financial hub has jailed a Swiss banker and three Singaporean private bankers for their roles in the affair.

It has closed the local branches of two Swiss banks, which were allegedly used to transfer illicit funds, for what regulators called massive lapses in financial controls.

Since his election defeat, Najib has been arrested over the scandal and went on trial in April.

Read More:
https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/government-economy/singapore-returning-503m-seized-in-1mdb-probe-to-malaysia

Japan’s Nikkei slips on stronger yen, currency war jitters

TOKYO (Aug 7): Japan’s Nikkei fell on Wednesday as a stronger yen and fears of a global currency war prompted investors to sell riskier assets, though some upbeat corporate results and Wall Street’s bounce helped curb losses.

The Nikkei stock average ended the day down 0.33% at 20,516.56 points.

“Gains by the yen and lingering concerns towards the U.S.-China trade and currency war weighed on the market. The yuan is still above the 7 per dollar and how currency issues pan out is a key concern,” said Chihiro Ohta, equity general manager at SMBC Nikko Securities.

“That said, sellers are not entirely dominant as there were some solid corporate earnings as well.”

Companies reliant on exports slipped as the yen remained strong against the dollar, staying close to a seven-month high scaled the previous day. The yen is typically seen as a safe-haven during times of market turmoil, and has firmed in recent sessions as the Sino-U.S. trade war suddenly escalated.

Honda Motor Co lost 0.9%, Mitsubishi Electric Corp shed 1.3% and TDK Corp declined 2.2%.

Earnings reports also continued to buffet trading.

Sumco Corp, a manufacturer of silicon wafers used in semiconductors, sank 9.3% after its operating profit fell 18.4% in Jan-June.

Kirin Holdings Co tumbled 5% after Japan’s second-biggest brewer posted a net loss of 7.31 billion yen ($68.8 million) in the Jan-June period.

On the winners ledger, JVC Kenwood Corp soared 15.6% as the maker of car audio and visual systems reported a 77.9% operating profit increase in the April-June quarter.

Renesas Electronics Corp climbed 7.8% after the semiconductor maker’s Jan-June operating losses were not as large as anticipated.

Control equipment manufacturer Yokogawa Electric Corp added 4.9% on reporting an operating profit increase of 37.5% in April-June.

Fancl Corp rose 2.9% after Kirin Holdings said on Tuesday that it would take a 30.3% stake in the cosmetics company.

The broader Topix inched up 0.05% to 1,499.93. Declining shares outnumbered gainers 1,060 to 1,003. – Reuters

Read More:
https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/japans-nikkei-slips-stronger-yen-currency-war-jitters